Worldwide research is drastic in the field of Biotechnology and Bio engineering. To cater to the global requirement of trained manpower, university has introduced Biotechnology course in Engineering with a view to blend the Biosciences and technology for better yield and results.
Keeping this vision, the management has introduced this course during the academic year 2002-03. The Department is emphasizing on imparting knowledge in various fields like chemical engineering including unit operations, Momentum transfer and Bioprocess engineering, Molecular biology, Genetic engineering, Microbiology, Bioinformatics, Genomics and Proteomics, Upstream processing and Downstream processing technology, Nanotechnology , Drug design , Immunology etc.
Highly qualified, experienced and dedicated staff members are being involved in teaching the students with in depth technical knowledge. Well-equipped and sophisticated laboratories are the center of attraction in the department. The lab provides a basic foundation for the project work. Another major strength of the department is its extensive collection of Technical Books, Periodicals and Journals that helps the staff and students to acquire their knowledge with latest technology developments. Eminent scientists and experts are invited from various industries to interact with our students, contributing an insight into practical application areas.
The post graduate Programme M.Tech (Bioinformatics) has been introduced during the academic year 2011-12.
Department is recognized as research center by VTU from 2008. Two students have obtained M.Sc Engg. by Research degree from our research center.
It is our privilege to mention that three of our M.Tech students have secured first rank with gold medal and second Rank respectively in the University Examinations of VTU 2014, 3rd Rank in 2015.
GENELIX the forum of Biotechnology department is actively involved in organizing seminar by eminent scientists and researchers, Technical quiz, Debate, Model exhibitions, Poster presentation, Seminars, Group discussions etc, which help the students in developing their personality and perform well in campus interviews and getting the lucarative placements.
Imparting quality education with a blend of life science and technology to create professionally competent and socially responsible biotechnology engineers.
To establish academic excellence, encouraging research capabilities in biotechnology and nurturing the potential to form into socially responsible and value based biotechnology engineers.
To make students
1. Acquire basic skills in various disciplines and emerging areas of biotechnology.
2. Pursue higher education and research with long term learning.
3. Perform as an individual and / or member of a team with professional and ethical behavior.
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
1. Graduates will be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of the central principles of biology as well as supporting areas of mathematics and computer science.
2. Graduates will be able to integrate engineering techniques with biological sciences.
3. Graduates will have awareness in contributing biotechnology to uplift the quality and sustainability.
Several activities are conducted under the banner of Genelix Click here to view
Department of Bio-Technology,
GM Institute of Technology,
PB Road, Davangere
Ph.No.08192233345,233377,252777 Ext 110