The Department of Physics imparts education in Basic Science both in theory and through experiments to provide access to fundamental concepts of Physics to engineering students. The objective is to create the basic firm foundation required by the engineers to plan for appropriate applications of the materials, objects and the material science studied under the science education which in turn provides them the tool for the choice of the proper plan for the right application.
The Department of Physics was established in the year 2001. At present, Dr. Prasanna G.D. is heading the Department. With a continuous infrastructure development since 2001, today the department is equipped with a well established Engineering Physics Lab catering to the needs of First year B.E. VTU curriculum. The Department has strived hard since its inception, in systematizing and upgrading the standards of teaching Physics to Engineering students.
The Department of Physics is actively involved in the Research. The faculty's research is involved in the area of molecular spectroscopy, crystallography, nanocomposites, liquid crystals-nanostructure composites, materials science, Nanoferrites, Conducting polymers, Composite materials, Magnetic materials, Metal Oxides for electrical and magnetic studies, etc. The research group has published more than 30 papers in international/national journals and about 45 international/national conferences.
To develop technological competent, socially responsible and humane engineers capable of working in multi-cultural environment.
To create an academic ambiance which will develop quality Engineers who are technically competent, socially and ethically responsible and perform better in multicultural environment.
1. Celebrated 'World Environment Day' on 5th June 2018 under NSS banner and Basic Science Department.
2. Conducted debate competition on 'Voting must be made compulsory' on 5th May 2018 under the NSS Banner and Basic Science Department.
3. Organized 'Personality Development Programme' on 3rd April 2018 under the NSS Banner and Basic Science Department.
4. Celebrated 'National Science Day' on 6th March 2018 under the banner of Department of Basic Science and NSS and technical talk (branch wise) was conducted for all the 1st year students.
5. Celebrated 'International Women's Day' on 8th March under the NSS banner, Women's Empowerment and Basics Science Department.
6. Celebrated 'Republic Day' on 26th January 2018 under the banner of NSS and Department of Basics Sciences.
7. 'Orientation programme' was conducted for all the 1st semester students on 7th Aug 2017.
8. NSS Unit was inaugurated on 10th Aug. 2017 for the year 2017-18 at GM Halamma auditorium.
9. Celebrated 'Vanamahothasava' programme and a special talk on 'Environment' was delivered on 10th Aug 2017 by Prof. Shishupala, Prof. and Chairman, Dept of Microbiology, Davangere University.
10. Celebrated '71st Independence Day and 75th Quit India Movement' organized under NSS banner on 15th Aug 2017.
11. 'National Science Day' and 'ISTE Student Chapter' was conducted on 29th Feb 2016.
12. 'Blood Donation Camp' was organized on 11th Nov. 2016 at GMIT Campus in collaboration with SS Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Hospital and issued certificated to all the donors under NSS banner and Basic Science Department.
Dr. Prasanna G D
Department of Physics,
GM Institute of Technology,
P B No 4, PB Road,